Monday, June 13, 2011

What I expected when I first came

When I first came to the United States, I was scared but also excited. I was scared because I didn't know anything about that country, and I was excited because I was in a new country. I was around eight or nine when I first came to the U.S. It was also the first time I met my grandmother. I thought that my grandmother would be taller, even though she was pretty tall for me, at that age.

When I came here, I thought that everyone spoke English. I didn't understand  anything anyone said. I thought that it was an all white school. Then, all of the sudden, some kid comes up to me and says, " Hola, como estas?" meaning hi, how are you in English. I was amazed how, out of all those people, I would find someone who speaks Spanish.

Another thing I expected was that I wouldn't make any friends. I was with my cousin, and then she left, so I was all alone in the line. I had nothing else to do but to stay in that spot and wait for the teacher. Suddenly, a girl came to me and said hi. Then, two of her other friends and said hi. That day I met five people.

I didn't what to say that day. I didn't expect to meet so many people on my first day of school. As you can see, my expectations were incorrect.

No comments:

Post a Comment